- “Playing Politics: WHO’s Response to COVID-19.” (with Matthew Kavanagh and Mara Pillinger) in Coronavirus Politics: The Comparative Politics and Policy of COVID-19. Eds. Scott L. Greer, Elizabeth J. King, Andre Peralta, and Elize Massard da Fonseca. University of Michigan Press. Forthcoming. 2021.
- “Understanding and Comparing HIV-Related Law & Policy Environments: Cross-National Data and Accountability for the Global AIDS Response.” (with Matthew Kavanagh, Ellie Graeden, Mara Pillinger, Stephanie Eaneff, Victoria Bendaud, Rico Gustav, and Taavi Erkkola) BMJ Global Health. 2020.
- “Democracy, Capacity, and Coercion in Pandemic Response – COVID-19 in Comparative Political Perspective.” (with Matthew Kavanagh) Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. 2020.
- JHPPL’s third most read article published in 2020
- My book project studies contemporary and historical policy change in the context of obesity-related food and public health policies in Germany, the European Union, and the United States. I develop a typology of policy change based on motives of policy entrepreneurs and levels of issue salience. To illustrate the typology’s application, I use a multi-method approach involving quantitative content analysis, observational and experimental survey data, legislative archival research, and process tracing using over 120 elite interviews of various governmental and non-governmental actors. The book project serves to improve understanding of the mechanisms at play in bringing about policy change generally, and specifically with regard to anti-obesity public health policies.
- What Makes a Changemaker? An Analysis of Policy Entrepreneurs in German and European Union Food Policy
- Best Poster on Public Policy Award (APSA Public Policy Section, 2019)
- Partisanship and Polarization in a Federal Context: Experimental Evidence from the US and Germany.
- Where’s the Money From? Attitudes toward Donor Countries and Foreign Aid in the Arab World. (with Scott Williamson)
- How Obamacare Altered State-Level Public Opinion on Medicaid
- Nuclear Weapons and Infectious Disease: The Role of Science, Policy, and the State
- Building a Scapegoat or Building a Reputation? Autocrats, Blame Avoidance, and COVID-19 in the Arab World. (with Scott Williamson)
Other Selected Publications
- “To Democratize Vaccine Access, Democratize Production.” (with Matthew M. Kavanagh, Mara Pillinger, and Katherine Ginsbach) Foreign Policy Magazine. March 1, 2021
- “Where has the world made progress in HIV Policy?” LSE Blogs. January 26, 2021.
- “Why public trust in the WHO matters.” LSE Blogs. May 19, 2020.
- “Coronavirus and Prospects for Instability in Egypt.” (with Scott Williamson) Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. April 22, 2020.
- “How the Coronavirus is Plaguing Autocracies and Democracies.” Duck of Minerva. March 10, 2020.
- “Book Review: Thieves of State by Sara Chayes.” Democracy and Society. Volume 14. 2016-2017.
- “Global Health Security and Strategic Diplomacy.” Atlantische Initiative. December 12, 2016.
- “The Case for Strategic Health Diplomacy: A Study of PEPFAR.” Bipartisan Policy Center. 2015. (Under Tom Daschle and Bill Frist).
- “The sugar-coated truth.” Future Foundation. March 13, 2014.
- “CVS: The business of being healthy meets the being healthy business.” Future Foundation. February 7, 2014.
- Physicians Association of Nutrition “Nutrition > Medicine” Webinar
- DAAD-sponsored podcast interview on my experiences researching in Germany
- Georgetown University Office of Fellowships and Awards Blog